Monday 18 May 2015

Installing the VMware vSphere client on Windows Server 2012 R2

I had occasion to install VMware vSphere client my home lab server which is a domain controller and running Windows Server 2012 R2 but ran into two problems... thought they were worth documenting.

The first issue was that I was told the installer wasn't compatible on the Operating System I was running.  In order to get round this, I navigated to the location of the installer. Highlighted it, right clicked and select properties.  I clicked on the Compatibility tab and set it so the installer would run as if it was on a Windows 7 machine.


I tried to install the client again but ran into ANOTHER problem! The GUI installer was complaining about being installed on a domain controller.  To get around this issue I broke out an elevated command prompted and issued the command: 

VMware-viclient-all-5.5.0-1618071.exe /VSKIP_OS_CHECKS="1"


After all that the client successfully installed!

No comments:

Post a Comment